Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wordplay

Today someone told me that the words on this blog cheered them up in the midst of a bad day.





That's pretty wonderful. I am humbled and honoured at the very thought that what I do here could affect someone...anyone. Thank you to the magnificent person who told me that - you made my heart swell and my eyes smile when I needed it.



It's funny, the power of words. Think of all of the lives changed and transported, all of the relationships started or deepened, the hearts broken and mended. History has been made and told with and through the power of words.



...But what about the words that are unsaid? Perhaps it's bad to think about the "what ifs" of life, but I imagine a lot of lives and relationships would have been altered, and hearts could have been saved, had someone had the courage to say the words that should have been said.



I don't say a lot of things. I have a tendency to internalize my feelings and bottle up my thoughts. I label myself a "shy girl", I dwell inside my head, listen to other peoples problems instead of vocalising my own, I'm not big on telephones, I'd much rather debate (okay argue about) nothing than reveal something. It's really rather a horrible personal trait - one that needs work, I know.



But back to my point - I sometimes wonder how life would be different if people said aloud all of the words that came into their head, or more importantly that they felt in their heart. Think about it: a simple "yes" or "no", "I love you", "I've missed you", "I'm sorry", or "I'm here"; those are the smallest of words but oh, how immensely powerful...when told to those people in our lives that deserve to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment