Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Strange, cruel World

This morning I listened to a startling story on the radio about a new anti-homosexuality bill being proposed in Uganda. Homosexuality is illegal in that country, and the latest proposed legislation includes sentences of life imprisonment, 'aggravated homosexuality' as a punishable crime, and a legal obligation to report a homosexual to the authorities.

Some of my closest and most cherished friends are gay and lesbian, and the thought that not only would their lives be at risk, but mine as well should I refuse to expose them to the police is sickening.

Here is a comprehensive article on the issue. There is also a fascinating blog entitled GayUganda whose contributors I would argue are very courageous considering the social [and now political] climate in which they live and from where they choose to write about and shed light on issues concerning the gay community in Uganda.

Whenever I learn about things like this I am shocked by my blissful ignorance and also at how truly and deeply fortunate I am to live in a country where I am free to be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment