Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Confession:

Sometimes I feel like I’m missing something when it comes to the whole social networking revolution that’s going on. I’d like to think that I could be on the ‘up’ when it comes to technology and current trends, but truth be told I've never been that interested. Growing up I much preferred books and make-believe to video games... although I do recall a DOS-run computer game called Treehouse (or something) that was a fave for my younger sister and me. I was never a big fan of msn, in fact the Hotmail address I currently use is the one my roommate gave me when she signed me up my first year of university after being shocked and appauled that I wasn’t an avid online chatter. It took me a few years to get on Facebook as well, and I must admit that I enjoy going on that site less and less in recent months (I keep saying I’m going to desolve my account and am promptly talked out of it by someone or other). I just now went on Twitter for the first time, didn’t sign up, and I’ve got to say, I just don’t get it. I just don’t feel the need to provide the world/cyberspace/whomever with 140 character-long updates or witticisms on a regular basis, call me crazy. I’ve even been rather lack-luster when it comes to blogging as of late, something which I DO realize and apologise for. (Sorry!)

Am I missing something? Am I a traitor to my generation? I mean, I love the internet, don’t get me wrong (not as much as Roomie, who really actually has professed her love for it). I appreciate the ways in which online media and social networking has changed the way we interact with the world and each other, it’s just that sometimes I can’t help but feel like mobile phones and computer screens are replacing face-to-face interaction, and that makes me a little concerned. People need to be touched, need to be seen and I hope that people will be able to put down their iPads, Kindles and Androids long enough to place some importance on real, tangible interaction every once in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment